Planning a Kitchen Renovation
Winning kitchen design ideas the pros use
If you're planning a DIY kitchen renovation, the first thing to do is come up with a plan. There are many ways in which you can make creative use of your kitchen space, but many people have a hard time coming up with kitchen ideas that are affordable, functional and aesthetically pleasing. These kitchen renovation ideas and tips have been culled from professional interior design experts, and they can kick-start your kitchen design plans regardless of how much or how little you're looking to spend.
Six Great Kitchen Design Ideas
Here are six unique approaches to help you get started on your kitchen design plans:
- Think in triangles. Ideally, your refrigerator, sink and stove should form a triangle, and there should be no more than 6 feet of space between each element.
- Add storage space. You really can't have enough storage space in your kitchen. Some ideas to increase the amount of storage space in your kitchen include wine racks, pot racks, deep drawers and overhead cabinets.
- Spread out the lighting. A single overhead light isn't enough for most kitchens. Add task lighting over the sink and over food prep areas.
- Upgrade your appliances. Once you've renovated your kitchen, chances are the old appliances won't make a good match, as they'll look out of place beside refurbished counters and cabinets. Invest in new, energy-efficient appliances and you'll increase your home's value as well as its beauty.
- Prioritize safety. Make sure there are good sightlines in your kitchen, which allow occupants to see into areas where other people might be coming from and vice-versa. Also, consider slip-resistant rugs and flooring materials to reduce the risk of injury.
- Ventilate. Range hoods and exhaust fans do more than just remove odors. If you have a gas stove, a hood will help eliminate carbon monoxide, a dangerous combustion byproduct that poses serious health risks.
To generate ideas, spend some time browsing magazines and looking at pictures of newly renovated kitchens online. This is a great way to get your creative juices flowing and find ways to put your own unique signature on your new kitchen.