Painting Kitchen Cabinets
Overhaul your kitchen with DIY cabinets
If you're looking for kitchen cabinet ideas, one thing to consider is refurbishing your existing cabinets instead of outright replacing them. It's a much more cost-effective way to transform the look of your kitchen; cost-conscious do-it-yourselfers know that the only times you should seriously look at replacing your cabinets is if you need to add more storage space, or if they've suffered structural damage. Otherwise, refacing or painting your kitchen cabinets is a much wiser option.
DIY cabinets are easy to paint, and you'll only have to invest in a few simple tools and supplies to get the job done. Here's how to make painting part of your kitchen cabinet plans:
- Detach and remove your cabinet doors and the fronts of any drawers you want to repaint. Also, uninstall any hardware (nuts, bolts, hinges, etc.) that might accompany them.
- Put on a pair of rubber gloves and thoroughly clean all the cabinet doors and drawer fronts you are going to repaint. Degreaser is the best cleaning product to use.
- Use 100-grit sandpaper to sand down your cabinets and drawers until you have a smooth, even surface to paint. When you're done, use a damp, soft cloth to wipe away any debris left over.
- Apply primer, moving against the grain first, then with the grain.
- Use 220-grit sandpaper to sand down your cabinets and drawers again, once the primer is dry.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 at least twice more. This will create a smooth, even surface that looks professional and is ready to paint.
- Apply at least two coats of paint to each cabinet and drawer you want to refurbish. Allow the paint to completely dry between each coat.
- Leave your cabinets and drawer to sit for 24 to 48 hours, until the paint is completely dry and set.
- Reattach the cabinets and drawer faces, using the existing hardware or replacement hardware.
Voila! You have a radically transformed kitchen for an affordable price. Real estate experts say that improving your kitchen is one of the best ways to add value for your home, and DIY cabinets offer an outstanding return on a modest investment.